Sunday, April 5, 2009

Update

Yesterday concluded one of the most eventful weeks of my life. I'm glad that it's over, though, in a truer sense, none of our life-experiences are ever "over."

After four months of treatment for a painful neurological condition, my (patient and persistent) neurologist found a combination of medications that manages the pain very well. What a relief! After the "severe and unrelenting pain," life seems worth living again.

As a result of the "Painful Legs and Moving Toes Syndrome," I have been unable to care for Becky properly. She has been with our daughter Sara since early August, with only a couple of brief visits home. As of Friday, Becky is back here.Though it was a necessity, the separation was unsatisfactory for both of us. Now our days can be complete and happy once again.

Unfortunately, I can now devote appropriate time to Becky because I no longer have a job at First United Methodist Church in Jackson. It ended this week, March 31. I am saddened because that position should have allowed me to offer my strongest gifts in service to the church. Pray with me that I may follow God's leading to a new place of service.

This week also included a final, unexpected medical development. During an eye examination, my left eye came out of the socket. Normally that kind of incident is caused either by a thyroid malfunction or a tumor behind the eye.

Following an MRI, lab tests, examination by my family doctor and an ophthalmologist, it was decided that I do not have either of the underlying precipitating problems - - no tumor, no thyroid issue. That conclusion is tentative, of course, pending another incident and continued examination.

Becky is home, and so am I. My toes are not wriggling and my eye is staying in place. What a week! A few scares, some disappointments, an uncertain future; but, as with every week, the final word is always one of blessing.

No comments:

Post a Comment