Friday, March 27, 2009

The Music of My Life

Today's guest post is written by Cathy Benson, a good friend and fellow member of First United Methodist Church in Jackson, Tennessee. She speaks of the influence of beloved family members and her early start at playing the church organ at age 12. Who has influenced you along the journey of faith?

If asked to name my favorite hymn, until a couple of years ago I would have said that it is a tie between Amazing Grace and How Great Thou Art. Both hymns have a powerful message about God's marvelous gifts to each of us. They also have a long spiritual history in my family.

I grew up in a small rural church. My maternal grandmother led the singing for many years. Her favorite Call to Worship was Holy, Holy, Holy and her all-time favorite hymn was Amazing Grace. My grandfather's favorite was How Great Thou Art.

Our church had an old organ that had been collecting dust; and, since I had a year of piano lessons under my belt at age 12, I was talked into giving it a try. My first Sunday playing the organ was the last Sunday my grandfather was able to attend worship. Of course, the special music for the service was my Papaw's favorite. How Great Thou Art is not an easy song to play. I'm sure that the congregation could see my hands shaking on the keys!

Fast forward 30 years past the loss of my grandparents, and I discovered a new favorite hymn. In the spring of 2007 I lost two special people in my life in the span of 10 days. One death was expected, the other was very unexpected.

I first heard Hymn of Promise (number 707, The United Methodist Hymnal) at the memorial service of a dear elderly lady who had become like another grandmother to me. So touched by the words and melody, I later suggested that it be used at the memorial for a beloved uncle. To simply say that Hymn of Promise was a comfort to me, the family, and all who loved him, would be an understatement. The hymn paints such a glorious picture of everything in God's creation that we can see and touch - but never fathom the "how." The mystery of a beautiful butterfly bursting forth from the cocoon, or how spring calls the flowers forth, opening to the heavens. Each season is a new beginning that brings hope in a future that only God can know. Each separation here on earth renews the promise of a new life, more beautiful than this one, filled with peace, gentleness, and the full abundance of God's love.

Hymn of Promise reminds me that some promises can be trusted. It encourages me to center my faith in Jesus Christ, the Easter-Maker, the Promise-Keeper.

Cathy Benson

No comments:

Post a Comment