Wednesday, March 4, 2009

Discipleship Practice #1: Loving-Kindness Meditation


In an earlier post, I identified attention to discipleship practices as a focus of this blog. I will soon have more to say about both "practicing" and "discipleship"; but I want to introduce a fundamental practice today. I expect the blog to move us to new ways of living the gospel , not simply new understandings. And so we begin with a type of prayer practice that is easily accessible and clearly reflects Jesus' teachings, with power to shape us into new people.

"Loving-Kindness Meditation" equips us to love God and our neighbors more fully. It is based on the assurance that "perfect love casts out fear." ( l John 4:18) We cannot inhabit that House of Fear and the House of Love at the same time. (Henri Nouwen) This meditation helps us to choose love for everyone in every circumstance.

"The practice of loving-kindness meditation enjoins an attitude of universal, non-discriminating friendliness and good will toward all beings with no exceptions . . . . It matters not how appealing or unappealing to us another being is; all are to be treated with the same loving attitude." Mary Jo Meadow, Gentling the Heart, pp 25-26.

Practicing the Practice

The substance of the meditation is printed below. I hope that you can highlight and copy that section and print several copies on card stock so that the prayer will always be within reach.

Take a comfortable posture, sitting, standing, walking, or lying down. Start with a few deep breaths, becoming present to God, to yourself, and to the moment. Then seek forgiveness by saying something like this: "I ask forgiveness of all whom I have hurt or harmed in any way. I freely forgive all who have hurt or harmed me in any way. I freely forgive myself and humbly accept forgiveness from God and all whom I have offended."

In praying the blessings, you begin with yourself. I am the being for whom I am the most responsible. If I discount my own need for blessing and healing, I will also discount others. Pray the five blessings for yourself in an unhurried way for as long as you feel necessary. Then move on to the other categories -- my family, my friends, those whom I meet today, the most vulnerable of God's children, and all living beings. You may find yourself naming different specific family and friends each time you meditate. In any case, pray the blessings for others for as long as you feel necessary.

There are five categories of blessings. They are meant to honor Jesus' admonition that we shall "love the Lord your God with all your heart, and with all your soul, and with all your mind, and with all your strength," and "you shall love your neighbor as yourself." (Mark 12:29-31)

Here is a Discipleship Practice which can concentrate your attention and calm your spirit. You will be freed from envies, resentments, vengeance, restlessness, and other painful emotions. It will not drag you down in sluggishness, drowsiness, or boredom. And your capacity to love and to be love will be enhanced as you mature as a disciple of Jesus Christ.


Loving-Kindness Meditation

+ May I be safe from hatred and harm within and around me.

+ May I be peaceful in heart and clear in mind.

+ May I be strong and healthy in body.

+ May I attend to life with gentleness.

+ May I come to union with God.


{ ** my family }

{ ** my friends }

{ ** those who I meet today }

{ ** the most vulnerable of God's children }

{ ** all living beings }
























No comments:

Post a Comment